Growth hacking is above all a marketing vision, a mindset of small businesses and startups that want rapid growth.
What is Growth Hacking exactly?
Growth Hacking is the set of innovative techniques that enable rapid growth using intelligent resources. In order to understand Growth Hacking, let's break down the expression:
- Growth = growth: The Growth Hacker creates Hacks, that is to say, innovative marketing actions whose main objective is rapid growth.
- Hacking = hacking: No do not worry this has nothing to do with viruses and hacks! Here we must understand hacking in the sense of breaking marketing. Hackers break the traditional approach. This term also refers to the "Life Hacker", an individual who uses his imagination to improve his life.
Let's see how Growth Hacking will follow the user and enable the startup, small business or SME to find the path of growth. Without knowing it the user is led to follow a conversion tunnel. This process takes place in 5 steps ... that the company must provoke and master! Let's go, you will quickly understand how these 5 stages take place ...
5 stages of Growth Hacking
Mixed between inboud marketing * and outbound marketing *, acquisition is the step of looking for the prospect where he does not expect to attract him to his website or application.
* According to Stéphane Bureau, author of the blog Mercatik specializing in Inbound Marketing, Inbound serves to educate its marketing target to accompany it subtly towards the act of purchase. The outbound, meanwhile, consists in bludgeoning its marketing target with intrusive advertising messages.
How to make the acquisition?
- Through partnerships with complementary non-competing companies
- By referencing his site with SEO techniques
- By promoting on social networks and the link with influencers
- With a press relations policy
- By a newsletter or emailing actions to build customer loyalty
- Through contests and events
- By using Google Adwords to get targeted but paid traffic (SEM)
- By creating a blog to attract visitors to your site
- By curation with Scoop IT
- An example of Acquisition conducted by a company?
The goal of growing hacking activation is to turn the visitor into a user. We must offer content with high added value that encourages him to create an account or subscribe to a newsletter.
How to activate and turn a visitor into a user?
- Submit a free guide with registration required for download
- Use A / B testing
- Retargeting to get users back
- Gamification (marketing technique that follows the codes related to the world of video games by offering games, challenges, points, rewards ...). For example propose a game on Facebook with invitation of friends to participate to compare scores or earn points.
- By offering discount codes
An example of activation?
Twitter realized that when you subscribe to 20 people you come back. The suggestion of people to the registration process was then integrated.
It's about keeping your customers, getting them back and making sure your customers recommend you!
How to retain your customers and benefit from recommendations?
- Send an email if your target has not opened their newsletter for a long time or has not bought for several weeks
- Investigate to improve the customer experience
- Retargeting on old customers. Specifically, when the user will leave your website, he will see an advertisement inviting him to return to your site when he navigates to another site. This is retargeting advertising. It is a more personalized technique because it is related to the individual navigation of the user.
An example of customer retention?
Pinterest retains its users thanks to its contents. New users automatically follow digital ambassadors. They appreciate the content and talk about it around them.
It's about identifying the potential ambassadors of your brand. Why ? Because the most active users will encourage less active users to be more active. By sharing content or recommending your products or services to those around them, they increase your visibility and bring in new potential customers.
How to recruit ambassadors to increase its visibility?
- Invite them to share on social networks
- Send invitations by email
- Reward in exchange for an invitation or a sharing
- Suggest the import of the contact database
- Ask your customer to recommend your product or service
- An example of the use of ambassadors
With Dropbox, for every friend invited to use the service, you gain storage capacity.
It is essential to measure these actions to see if it works or to test new actions in order not to waste time and money. We must think monetization. The goal remains growth and targeting of qualified users.